What causes dry mouth and metallic taste in mouth?

Excellent

Rheumatologist
Question
i have a had a lump in my throat that has not been sore nor has it been any trouble swallowing, i have been given medication for acids reflux the lump seems to be going but my throat seems dry now and times sore. i do at times get horrid taste in my mouth, but rarely heart burn. i just wondered about a 2nd opinion as to whether the feeling was caused by reflux. and how would happen?
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that whatever symptoms you give are consisitent with the diagnosis that your treating doctor has made . No lump feeling other than acid reflux resoves with antacids . These medcicnes can lead to dry mouth and bad or metallic taste in mouth . Your doctor must have evaluated you thoroughly by examining you and getting relevant investiagations done . It is going to take time to resolve all these symptoms . Most common mimic would be hiatus hernia that needs to be ruled out . I agree with your treatment . Take care. Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: What causes dry mouth and metallic taste in mouth? 3 minutes later
would you be able to explain what causes the globus sensation? (as my doctor called it)

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, When you have GERD Reflux of gastric juices lead to irritation and inflammation of the pharynx and increase the tone of upper oesophageal sphincter which can be caused by distention of the sphincter giving rise to this lump in throat sensation . Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: What causes dry mouth and metallic taste in mouth? 2 minutes later
thank you, that is very helpful. can pressure on the stomach area cause reflux?

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, No I dont think external pressure on stomach can cause reflux . Dr. Shruti