What causes disruptive vision and tiny pupils while reading?

Hi: I am a 58 year old female. I am experiencing some problems with my vision that are now becoming very disruptive. My eyes become very distorted if I try to read anything. At first this would occur after 20 minutes but now I am having this problem after 10 minutes. My general vision is affected in the same way during this time and I experience light sensitivity as well. My vision will return in about an hour. My husband has noticed that my pupils become very tiny during this phase. Also my eyes feel strange and my vision is dimmer. Very Kindly XXXX
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Requires a review from Opthalmologist Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, Your description compels a careful clinical examination by an opthalmologist. Considering the fact that this is a recent event, the triggering factor needs to be identified and managed. It is of utmost importance to test for diabetes. this is one of the commonest causes of such visual disorders that could lead to blindness. Blood pressure values are also important. High blood pressure has consequences on the eyes (hypertensive retinopathy). Another common cause, that could be very silent for some time and reveal itself in several fashions is glaucoma. Other symptoms like headaches associated to the eye symptoms if any, itches, chronic upper respiratory tract infections, recent change in the lenses you put on in case you do out on glasses, family history of eye diseases are all important details that could serve enrich diagnosis and management. The eyes are very sensitive and fragile. It is very advisable to book an urgent appointment with an opthalmologist for a proper clinical review. Thanks and hope this helps. Please, feel free asking further questions in case pf need. I would be glad making my humble contributions.
Follow-up: What causes disruptive vision and tiny pupils while reading? 21 hours later
Thank you Doctor: It occurred to me that I neglected to include COPD with recurrent lung infections requiring IV therapy antibiotics as a medical conditions. How do upper respiratory infections impact the eye. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Can be related Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, Upper respiratory tract infections, especially of viral origin could easily spread to the eyes. It is important to note that the eyes and the nostrils are connected through the lacrymal ducts (tubes that drain tears from the eyes to the posterior region of the nose). An infection , especially with accumulation of mucus in this passage, can therefore easily spread from the nostrils to the eyes. Specific characteristics in this case would include the eyes becoming red and itchy. These are parameters taken into consideration by your doctor during the evaluation process. Thanks and kind regards. Please , do feel free asking other questions in case of need. Wishing you the best of health. Dr Bain