What causes disorientation and dizziness when suffering from temporal lobe seizures?

Nov 2013

I am 75 yr old woman diagnosed over a year ago w temporal lobe seizures. I am currently sorting out events from the last year that for one reason or another did not pass by the neurologist. Do you think the following is likely an example of anxiety, the result of side effects from meds, or seizure activity? The example is as follows: I was on a bus,for quite a long time deep in thought. I was thinking about a childhood event – pondering my mother’s behavior – really engrossed. I looked up and saw that the bus was coming to my stop, but when I looked out the window the scene was completely unfamiliar to me [even though it was half a block from my home.] I was disoriented, dizzy and very scared. The bus stopped. I stepped out. Everything was as familiar as ever. I was dazed for a little bit but by the time I got home I was fine. What do you think? Many thanks!
Posted Thu, 27 Mar 2014 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: This episode is suggestive of a seizure. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. I have noted your medical details and the description of the current episode. This episode is suggestive of a complex partial seizure, which can occur with temporal lobe seizures. The dose of tegretol (carbamazepine) may need to be increased after consulting your doctor. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG:
Follow-up: What causes disorientation and dizziness when suffering from temporal lobe seizures? 10 hours later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX Thank you for your answer. I thought that might be the case. This episode happened 6 or 8 months ago, before I was diagnosed. The reason I asked is because I am sorting through my old notes about events whose meaning was never identified to me by the neurologist. I no longer see that neurologist. If you were my neurologist, would you identify the meaning of events? Thank you so much for your consideration. Sincerely,XXXX
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for getting back. If I were your neurologist, I would have given importance to this childhood event, and would have noted this in your past history as a complex partial seizure, which would have helped me in making a diagnosis of temporal lobe seizures. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)