What causes diarrhea when on Cefixime and Azythromycin?

Hello doctor,i am male 28yrs from india.3weeks back and 1week after unsafe sex i took 400mg of cefixime and 1gm of azythromycin(single dose) to avoid STD gonnorhea.two days from the day i took these antibiotics i developed diarrhea.frequency is 3-4 times and consistancy is watery.i suspected antibiotic associated diarrhea due to Clostridium difficile and strated metronidazole(400mg thrice a day).after two days of metronidazloe faecal consistancy improved but not fully(partially formed,semisolid).there is some distinguish unpleasant odour.its been nine days since i am on metronidazole but no change in my condition.i tested my stool for C.difficile toxin A & B and candida(yeast).reports came negative for both.during the whole episode i didn't experienced any fever,fatigue,headaches,sweating,insomnia etc.only defaecation problem.should i go for any additional tests?.please provide your valuable opinion and treatment advice on my condition.Thank you.
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hello, Thank you for the query. Possibly you have azithromycin induced diarrhoea. I suggest need not worry. Can take a probiotic like VSL # 3 or providac twice day. If stool c. difficile assay is normal can stop metrogyl now. Can take medication like raececadotril 100 mg twice a day, mild anti diarrheal available over the counter twice a day till diarrhoea last. Meanwhile worthwhile getting your HIV tested after a month of exposure. If still diarrhoea persist after a 10 to 15 days or if you develop fever, abdominal pain, loss of weight or appetite then need to see a gastroenterologist and get a colon0scopy done. Hope this answers your query. Wish you a speedy recovery. Happy to help.