What causes coughing up of phlegm?

Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer: clarifications Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. However I would require a couple of more details to help you in answering your query in a better justified way. 1. Where is the drainage coming from? Are you operated for something. Is there is a wound? What is the nature of drainage? 2. Are you having cough? 3. What happend when the stomach gets irritated? Hope to hear from you at your earliest convenience. Regards and wish you good health, Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD
Follow-up: What causes coughing up of phlegm? 24 hours later
drainage from sinus yes cough all the time flem comes up on several coughing sessions which i think originates in stomach
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Phlegm is never produced in the stomach Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the follow-up details Please try to understand that phlegm is never produced in the stomach. It is always produced in the respiratory tract. You are coughing out phlegm from your respiratory tract as possibly there is some infection in your respiratory tract. Regarding the discharge for the sinus, you have not mentioned which sinus and which locations you are talking about. I suppose you are talking about the respiratory sinuses. In an ongoing respiraory infection, its natural for the sinuses to also keep secreting. You will need a good antibiotic cover. My personal choice would be cefexime and in my patieents I give it in a dose of 200mg twice a day for 3 days. Along with that you may take cetrizine as well to reduce the secretions. Hope that helps Regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD