What causes constipation with pressure in rectum and lower abdiminal pain?

General Surgeon
I am having abdominal pain and a feeling if pressure in my rectum and trapped wind. It started six weeks ago when I was woken up in middle of night with pain in right side feeling hot and shaky. I thought I was going to pass out and was dizzy for 20 mins. Next day I was exhausted but otherwise ok. Then I started being constipated and feeling pressure in my rectum and lower abdiminal pain. I went to docs and he gave me laxido. This got everything moving. My period was due the following week but did not come and when it was due my stomach was very swollen and heavy and I looked pregnant. I was regular again so stopped taking laxido, became constipated again. Went back to docs and she put me back on laxido and on Colofac and omeprazole as she said abdo pain was from cramping colon and belching was stomach acid. Abdo pain still strong. Have had period now and all the pain eased whilst I had it. Now it's stopped the pain is back. I can't sit on one side and I can't lie on my front. Went back to docs - she pressed on my right side and it was tender and sore - said could be constipated or it could be a cyst. Has booked me in for a sigmoidoscopy as there is a history of bowel cancer in my family - uncle died of it at 44. Do you think this is a tumour causing all these symptoms? If test is negative what else should I ask them to do? I have also been waking up at 4am with neck pain, feels locked. I have disc problem in upper spine - could this be causing problems? Trapped nerve? I gave had 3 c-sections also and have lots of scar tissue - was warned by surgeon after last one to have no more as it would be too XXXXXXX Thanks for any advice you can give.
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: partial bowels obstruction Detailed Answer: Hello. Thank you for the query. The fact that you have a colon cancer history at the age 44 makes colon cancer first to be ruled out. The guidelines clearly say that the first colonoscopy should be done at the age which is 10 years before the earliest colon cancer in the family if the cancer appears before 50. So you should have full colonoscopy(not sigmoidoscopy) at the age 34! Please ask your doctor and mention that sigmoidoscopy is not enough. The other thing is that c-sections can cause adhesions and endometriosis( which creates more adhesions and inflammation). Andhesions can lead to bowels obstruction which seems to be your main problem. So if colonoscopy wont give any aswear, abdominal CT with oral contrast(enteroclysis-not a regular CT!) should be next. If this also wont diagnose the problem, diagnostic laparoscopy is next. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow-up: What causes constipation with pressure in rectum and lower abdiminal pain? 10 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I think the guidelines for colonoscopy in the uk are different. I went to my docs when my uncle died - I was 34 then and he did a stool test and told me not to worry as my uncle was not a first degree relative. I am only having the sigmoidoscopy because I was in tears in the surgery and they wanted to reassure me that I'm worrying over nothing! I don't think i am worrying other nothing though. I should have pointed out that I had similar Problem to this 15 months ago but it resolved after two weeks - this time it has lasted much longer. I have also had a cyst on my right ovary before and my ovary is towards my back and hard to find on a scan - the nurse said it was sitting on my rectum which made me wonder whether these problems could by a cyst again?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Well,this guidelines are international. It is proven that colon cancer grows approximately 10 years. It is also thought that some families are prone to have this cancer (however genes mutation is not discovered yet). Normaly it does not appear before 50. So you should force your doctor to send you for colonoscopy. Ovaries does not stick to the rectum for no reason. There must be some factor of such location. One of such factors is endometriosis. The other can be also a cancer of ovary. Partial bowels obstruction can come and go. Please try to have diagnostics as mentioned before. You should also consult gynecologist. In a meanwhile please check CA-125 and CEA levels (ovarian and colon cancer markers). Regards