What causes constant sore throat with history of smokinh?

Dec 2012

Hi, i have a question about sore throat which havent been going away for a while approx 6 months ago i started to get sore throat in mornings, saw gp and he said it might be due to sleeping with my mouth open, few months ago my throat started hurting during the day aswell but pain would come and go, i saw gp again he prescribed some antibiotics but they didnt seem to help much, now ive got throat ache during the day almost all the time, i am 27 and i do smoke, i am very concerned that it may be a throat cancer however i saw gp recently again and all he did was prescribed some more antibiotics and suggested it may be acid reflux even though been taking pills for that for a while now but they dont seem like working. I am very concerned at this stage, hope you will be able to shed some light, it really seems that my gp just dont care much. Thank you
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer: I doubt if it is throat infection Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX I am sorry for your troubles and I hope I will be of help. I am sorry to say, but it seems your GP has been taking this the wrong way. Given your history of smoking and the fact that you have been having sore throat for about 6 months, it would have been appropriate to start ruling out serious medical contions such as oesophageal ulcer, pharyngeal tumor etc. You must not necessarily be having a throat cancer (which is still a possibility even though your age defies that). If your doctor was patient enough, he would have done a throat exams with a laryngoscope or refer you to an ENT specialist who can look further into this. It might just be oesophageal ulcer which needs only some anti-ulcer medications. Continuous take of antibiotics which are obviously inefficient is not recommended. Taking a look at your throat will help rule out many possible conditions for example fungal infection of the throat which can only be treated with antifungal. My suggestion is that you should see an ENT specialist for further evaluation and treatment. Hope this helps and wish you the best. Dr. Nsah