What causes constant shallow pain and tenderness to touch in lower rib cage?

I have developed a constant shallow pain tender to the touch in my rt lower rib cage about 3-4 inches lateral of the sternum on the last few ribs not attached to sternum directly onset was a week ago roughly. The last few ribs on the bottom rt lower side. It just intensified dramatically a moment ago as i was putting in a earring and laughed while my rt arm was over my head in stretched position getting ready to go out. I spent most of the day today in bed with a heating pad resting and it felt better. My job requires some heavy lifting 75lb items. I moved about 10 of these items yesterday at work since the onset. I have done some heavy to moderate lifting prior to the onset as part of my daily work duties. It is soar to direct pressure currently and feels like I have a Knife stuck in my rib cage. I am a 37 year old female in good shape and weigh approximately 120 lbs. No fever or nausea or other symptoms and I have been taking alleve to help with pain. The pain lessens when im in a slightly leaned forward position seating or standing. Im thinking Ive strained a muscle or a intercostal cartilage between my ribs. What do u think....Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vijay Varma 2 hours later
Brief Answer: just a muscle catch Detailed Answer: Hello, Well from the history you have given looks like you have strained your muscles in the lateral aspect of you chest. It would be really good if you can take off from your work for an week. Avoid lifting weight during the off days. You can continue aleve. It has antiinflamatory effect and would reduce the pain. For best results, use it twice a day after food for the next 3-5 days. Muscle relaxants that are prescription drug can give additional benefits; offcourse you need to get a prescription from a local doctor. It is important that you make sure you don't strain the muscles - that's something which will delay healing. Give them time to heal by themselves. Hope this helps you. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards