What causes clear fluid drip from nose?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
i have noticed my nose dripping clear fluid in recent weeks....when i am up and about doing my housework etc....also had about 5 days of wierd blurred vision through last week, but put it down to too much Tv/watching tennis.....our weather is warm, i am not sneezing etc, but my nose continues to run....the vision is now ok
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 52 minutes later
Hello and welcome to health care magic, I am Dr Sriram Nathan! an ENT surgeon and let me first assure you that what you are experiencing may just be a reactionary fluid leak from nose which will definetely become better in a week or two. However there are some serious conditions which may present like this though the chances of this is rare but it pays to be safe right. If your leak is spontaneous it could be a CSF or brain fluid leak which we are concerned about. So you need to do these: - see if the leak comes in a gush after you lie down for a while and then get up - see if there is any stain in the handkerchief or tissue or is there any blood residue - try to collect the fluid in a sterile container and send it to lab for CSF FLUID ANALYSIS - get an endoscopy done with a good ENT surgeon - the surgeon may also advice a contrast CT PNS, you can do that and even get back to me with the report These are just for safety and in all probability just a course of antihistamine in consultation with your doctor will solve the issue so do not worry Hope this helps and if you have any other queries you can get back to me anytime get well soon regards Dr Sriram Nathan
Follow-up: What causes clear fluid drip from nose? 3 hours later
thankj you ever so much........there is no 'stain' at is not a gush....but upon activity, even, the dripping begins.......i do not notice it during the night when i get up, but during the day, as I said when 'doing' from now on I will keep a special record of things......i do have a left ear had a burst eardrum many years ago, which was grafted.....this ear always seems moist/lower in hearing etc......apart from that I cannot think of any other thanks once again....we will see what comes of things...regards XXXX
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 6 minutes later
hello again, You are welcome and yes the ear problem may also be related In any case do not worry and follow what I advised earlier hope you take care and get well soon regards Dr Sriram Nathan