What causes clear discharge from the rectum?

General Surgeon
Question refers to a clear discharge from my rear end… What if it happens for several days, many times a day. Is it a problem? I know there is mucous in my anus, but this is a large amount
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Clear discharge from the rectum is nothing more than a mucus. Please note that intestines constantly produce the mucus to make stool passage easier. When the stool does not travel through intestines (due to constipation) or there is some inflammatory process inside, you may get lots of mucus instead of stool. So the most probable reason of such symptom is constipation. Other are bacterial infection, inflammatory bowels disease or even colon cancer. I suggest you to start with diet improvement. Please increase fiber rich products and mineral water intake. Start probiotic supplementation. If this wont help, stool test and colonoscopy should be done. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.