What causes chronic tension headaches and mild nausea?

Question

chronic tension headaches and mild nauseas for three months. Ct scan was normal 2 weeks ago. Just found a marble sized lump on the back left side of head.
Posted Sat, 21 Jun 2014 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please, see below

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this chronic tension headaches that you have and the recent lump that you have reported. I have reviewed your information fully and I a comforted by the fact that you have already had a CT scan the shows no problem with the brain. This at least gives us the chance to know that this headaches are not caused by concerning brain disorders like tumors, aneurysm, bleeding, etc.

What medications have you been taking for this headache? Did they prove helpful to you? Are there any real live challenges or stress going on in your life? Tension headaches are often provoked and aggravated by stress. If this is the case, please report what difficulties you are currently facing so that together we may be able to look for ways and address them. I can provide as many drugs to ease this headache but if there is a real and ongoing cause of this, it would be good to address it also for best results.

With chronic headaches, getting preventive treatment in addition to pain medications would be very helpful. Let me know the drugs you have tried already. There are several different classes of medications and clients do not respond to the same extend to all medications. This makes monitoring after prescription very important in identifying what works and what needs to be changed. This is why I will like your prescribing doctor to do this so as to ensure monitoring, evaluation and modification of treatment until we get what works best for you. Other measures like good sleep, regular exercise, balanced diet, enough fluid intake, no alcohol, tobacco and caffeine have been of great help to other patients suffering from tension headaches. why don't you give it a try as well!

I understand your worries about this lump. To me, it is not uncommon to find a small lump in the neck region should e really be looking for one. What makes the difference is the size and how it progresses over time. The size for now seems to be just no problem and I will recommend that you monitor it and report any changes like increase in size and pains to your treating doctor. For now, there is no reason to get worried about this. It only makes the tension headaches worse and does not help. (((This lump is in n way suggestive of cancer!!!)))

I hope this addresses your query fully. I hope you tolerate the procedure and get this cardiac electrical problem corrected. I wish you well and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications should need be. Thank you so much for using our services.

Follow-up: What causes chronic tension headaches and mild nausea? 2 hours later
Thank you for your response.. I take Ibuepeofen sometimes to relive tge headache, but only works a little. So I should not be worried about the lump as of now? Its not suggestive of cancer?

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
This is not suggestive of cancer right now!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this follow up.

I will recommend that you ask your doctor about preventive treatment against tension headaches as you tend to have several episodes in a month. This would help while you maintain Ibuprofen for break though relief during episodes.

There is just not enough information to suggest this lump is related to cancer. I will recommend that you put an eye on it and report any change sin future for further interpretation and advice.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask for more information and clarification if need be.