What causes chronic cough with traces of blood in phlegm after quitting smoking?

hi thank you for the service I have quit smoking four months ago and have had very bad chest pains and lower and middle of my back pains I've been coughing up a lot of phlegm as well and I'm getting very concerned. I had a chest x-ray done and it came back clear. But I am concerned that something is still wrong when I cough periodically on a couple days in the last four months I've had traces of blood in the phlegm as well not a lot of blood just a couple strings of blood but it's still quite scary.
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: need more detailed investigations. Detailed Answer: Hello. X-ray might not always show everything.Chronic cough with traces of blood do need further investigations. Investigations which can help are CT scan, blood test, skin sensitivity test and sputum/phlegm analysis. First possibility which needs to be ruled out in cases like yours is chronic infections.Second possibility though less likely at your age but with history of smoking for long is a lung mass. I would suggest you to see a chest physician who can tailor the investigations for you. Its always advisable to start early treatment. Hope this helps.Please ask if there are doubts. Regards.