What causes chest pain and hurting in my neck while swallowing?

i've had a cold for 10days and starting on day 10 my lower right chest and neck hurt when i swallow.
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kavita Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer: it is due to pharyngitis Detailed Answer: Hi, Painful swallowing is called odynophagia. It may be due infections & inflammation of mouth , throat, tonsil or esophagus. Since you have history of cold, the most probable reason which i think is pharyngitis . Kindly take nonspicy foods, do warm saline gargles and take lozenges to soothen your throat. You could take simple analgesics like motrin for relief of pain as and when required. In case the symptoms persist, then consult your physician who can do a local examination to look for the cause. Hope it helps. Kindly contact , in case of any query. Dr. Kavita Paul