What causes calf pain and restricted movement in ankle?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi again Thanks for your help and advice so far, things are progressing slowly The surgical wound is healing up nicely and the leg ulcer is also healing although much slower than I would like that said the nurses are happy that the wound is filling out although there is some clear oozing through the dressing, is this something to be concerned about ? I am doing some rom exercises with my ankle to help with eventual Physio I have reasonable movement up and down with the ankle however the left to right movement is restricted what can I do to exercise this ? Rom in the knee is also fairly good although somewhat tender. I have some pain over night in the calf of the impacted leg but it is not significant and I suspect it is related to the way I sleep Many thanks again for your advice XXXX
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer: mild fluid is normal. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing again. The mild amount of clear discharge fro a gradually healing wound is not worrisome. This is normally a healthy ooze from the exposed tissues. Just take care that it should not get infected at any cost as this will delay the healing considerably. The oozing out of the clear fluid will gradually decrease. Do continue with the antibiotics and local regular dressings to avoid any infection. Passive exercises of the ankle joint will help you considerably. The side to side movement is usually restricted in both bone injuries. It will take some time but will be restored eventually. Do the exercises under the guidance of your physiotherapist. Do not force yourself to do excessive painful movements. The pain in the calf can be related to the inactivity or an electrolyte imbalance. Be sure to take some electrolyte rich fluids and fresh fruit juices to reduce the pain. You can also get some muscle relaxants prescribed from your orthopedician in case the pain is severe. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL