What causes calcified plaque in abdominal aorta?

Apr 2014

I can't afford to pay. I just had X-ray incidental findings of calcified plaque in abdominal aorta on lumbar X-ray so trying to learn something, somewhere, what it means.
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It is an age related finding. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to us You don't worry.Calcified plaque in abdominal aorta is an age related finding. It also becomes prominent due to history of hypertension.Hypertension aggravates the condition. You don't need any treatment for it.Mostly these are asymptomatic.However they may cause dilatation of aorta due to weakening of aortic wall,then it need active management. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Follow-up: What causes calcified plaque in abdominal aorta? 4 hours later
Thank you so much for your answer, Dr. XXXXXXX I do keep my heart health in check -- or try to -- given my family's long-engrained history, and, too, my own heart attack at 57 (in early 2012). Prior to that event, I had slightly elevated "bad" cholesterol and so much "good"cholesterol that my primary care physician advised me that didn't need medication at the time. Same as with my blood pressure. But just prior to the MI (95% blockage in the left anterior descending aorta), that's all changed, though I've been on and off blood pressure meds as --up until the last few months -- they dropped my pressures to "danger zones," too low even for someone with a heart history. My father lost most of his family (4 of six siblings and his father) all to heart disease, all young (prior the age 60); my mother's twin brother, sister and a second brother also suffered sudden cardiac / cerebrovascular disease (death), the three of them dying at or before age 63. Remarkably, both parents are still living, each having celebrated their 85th birthdays this past year. Three of my brothers treat for all or some of the following risk factors: diabetes, HT, obesity, high cholesterol. I'm the runt of the litter, the most active and health conscious and have the lousiest heart health. Go figure! But the rest of my body has taken quite a beating, having been on the wrong end of three auto accidents which have led to ongoing and even recent orthopedic surgeries to my wrist, forearm, cervical and lumbar spine, shoulder and collar bone. I am like a Tinker Toy woman with lots of titanium in me. I don't know which of those parts, along with the stent, will last longest, but I hope they all go at the same time, and many years down the road, so that I might get a chance to "enjoy" what they're designed to do. My father and I are most alike -- in anatomical features, I guess you could say. He underwent quadruple bypass in 2001, at which time they discovered a 6mm AAA, removed 6 months later without adverse effects and, then, 6 months after that, had an endarodectomy (sp?), whose symptoms were, in the first place, the reason he'd consulted a cardiologist. Since, he's had not an iota of heart problems. Your comment to "not worry" means a lot to me, as you can only imagine with all these cardiac "ghosts" in my family. I greatly appreciate your prompt reply.XXXX
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please find detail answer below. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back It is great to know that you are so health conscious,every one should be conscious. It is important due to the fact that you have positive family history. My reply was only for isolated abdominal aorta calcification,i was not aware of your detail history. Females are more prone for cardiac problems after menopause due to lack of protective estrogen hormone. You should have clinical examination at regular intervals preferably six monthly. You should have controlled lipid profile,blood sugar and hypertension because these factors aggravates the problem. Besides this you should continue physical activity in the form of walking and exercise. Take lot of fruits and vegetables in your diet and take restricted amount of salt. Avoid red meat,saturated fat and high fat milk products and be happy in life. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX