Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes burning sensation in the vagina along with blood in urine?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
I have had a constant burning feeling in my vaginal/urethra area for about 7 days. I have tested negative for UTI twice, one last monday and once today. I have visible blood in my urine.I do not have an urgency to urinate, but am going more frequently than usual.Could it still be a UTI?
Posted Sun, 19 Nov 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is due to UTI

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .Based on the facts that you have posted increased frequency for urination and two episodes of blood in urine (Hematuria) that you have is mostly due to UTI.

The routine urine analysis does not detect bacteria hence whenever patient has symptoms typical of infection it is always suggested to do urine culture which is precise test to trace out bacterial infection .

Take broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefixime along with urinary antiseptic like
Nitrofurantoin twice daily and urine alkaliser thrice daily.Later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report.

Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician.

Ensure to drink more water to keep urine dilute This will help to control dysuria.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: What causes burning sensation in the vagina along with blood in urine? 25 minutes later
The first culture they sent to grow and nothing came back. What could it be if the other culture doesn't grow any bacteria? Thank You

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It could be considered as Non Bacterial Cystitis

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for follow up .

Was the first culture done very recently ?

If the second culture done now turns out to be negative ,then it points the diagnosis to be a Non Bacterial Cystitis .The treatment being the same taking Nitrofurantoin twice daily along with urine alkaliser Citralka thrice daily .

Thanks with Regards.
Dr.Patil.

.

Follow-up: What causes burning sensation in the vagina along with blood in urine? 4 hours later
Thank you. What causes a non bacterial cystitis?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is very commn nin females

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .
It is very common in females reasons being
1) Close proximity of urethral opening to anus
2) Vaginal and Urethral openings being common
which makes transmission of infection easy
3) Use of common Toilet which in most of the places are not clean .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.