Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes burning sensation in penis during urination and what is the treatment?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
HAVE A LITTLE BURNING SENSATION WHILE PEEING.. I AM SURE IT IS BECAUSE OF INNERWEAR AS I WORE IT FOR TWO DAYS...PROBABLY THE TIP OF PENIS GOT RUBBED WITH IT a lot of times..... little redness at the tip..i have bought citralka... please advice
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is likely to be due to UTI (Urethrisis) Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have UTI predominantly Urethritis. Please get your routine urine test and urine culture done to find out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to. Please take broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefotaxime along with urinary antiseptic like Nitrofurantoin twice daily and urine alkaliser thrice daily.and later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report. Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician. Ensure to drink more water.To keep your urine dilute This will help to control dysuria. Ensure to wash your inner wares in hot water mixed with antiseptic lotion like Dettol. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you . Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: What causes burning sensation in penis during urination and what is the treatment? 6 days later
hello Dr. XXXXXXX I went to outstation so could not see your message. since i did not see i did not take any medicine or syrup. but after two days everything is fine. burning sensation and redness are all gone. so what should i do know. though i have a nose blockage problem... is it related or it has got okay normally?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Noneed to take medicine.. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for follow up. Since you feel better no need to take medicines at present. Blockage of the nose is not related to this episode. Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: What causes burning sensation in penis during urination and what is the treatment? 1 hour later
though the burning sensation and redness is gone but there is a mild itching at times around the inner side of the top side of penis(in the area where u can pull the skin back)... so sir if u can suggest some general lotion or cream for the same...

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 6 hours later
Brief Answer: You can apply Cortisone cream for itching. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for follow up .If itching is bothering too much you can apply cortisone cream twice daily. Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.