What causes burning and stinging sensations mainly along the thigh?

Question
For the past 5 years, I've had burning and stinging sensations mainly along my right thigh. It's extremely unpleasant, I have it 90% of the time and it makes me very grotty. Help!XXXX
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Meralgia Paraesthesia is a possibility Detailed Answer: Dear Friend. Hi , I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern. I need a little more information to help you better : 1. Any Back Pain? 2. Any History of diabetes or hypertension? 3. Any radiation of pain in your legs from thigh? 4. Any same pain in your Left thigh? 5. What is your occupation? Due to use any particular posture for sitting for a long time? or do you sit with crossed legs for a long time? 6. Any Numbness over the area? In first instance , i would keep a possibility of "Meralgia Paraesthesia" in your case. Reply with the questions i have asked , and if possible just explain me exact site and distribution of your pain on thigh. Stay Healthy. Dr Anshul Varshney , MD

Follow-up: What causes burning and stinging sensations mainly along the thigh? 3 hours later
In answer to your questions: From time to time, I do have lower muscular back pain. In the mornings, I wake up with both legs aching. This lasts for about 30 minutes. I do not have a history of diabetes or hypertension. Difficult to say if pain is radiated from thigh into legs...quite possibly. I do not have the burning and stinging in my left thigh. 90% of the sensation is felt in the 30cms above my right knee cap. It is the front of the thigh not the back of the thigh. I work part time as a business school professor so I do and have done for the past 30 years lots of teaching which involves standing up for 6-7 hours a day. I do sit for quite long periods of time mainly at a computer. I do not experience numbness. Any suggested treatments of whatever sort would be greatly appreciated. The most effective so far has been the occasional use of 500 micrograms of Clonozepam but my GP is wary of this drug. Other anti epileptic drugs have been tried. They make me feel drowsy without removing the burning and stinging sensations. There are no external physical signs of my complaint. It gets worse when I am anxious, for example, on flights

Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: Meralgia Paraesthesia Detailed Answer: Welcome again I appreciate your detailed reply Things go in favor of Meralgia Paraesthesia. I would advice you to go for Electromyelography and Nerve Conduction Velocity test. This would confirm the diagnosis. The treatment would depend on confirmation of diagnosis. If you have any further query please ask me.

Follow-up: What causes burning and stinging sensations mainly along the thigh? 7 minutes later
Dr Vatshney Thank you very much. Best wishes,XXXX

Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Good Luck Mr XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Mr XXXXXXX I would be waiting to see your reports. I know you will get well with treatment of Meralgia Paraesthesia. I would treat you for that once i have the reports. You may now rate the discussion and give your comments.