What causes burning and pressure pain in the chest?

Question
What could cause burning and pressure pain in the chest area? I'm also 100% sure it isn't heartburn. It feels very close to the surface of the skin.
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Require Investigation Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Welcome to XXXXXXX I understand your concern. Pain and burning sensation over the chest is commonly due to any of the following reasons: 1. Myocardial Infarction ( Heart Attack) - Pain is very severe , crushing type , radiates to left arm , neck , jaw. Can be associated with sweating , breathlessness. This is a classical description , variants may be there. 2. Muscular Pain - is usually continuous and aggravates with movement. 3. Herpes infection - That might develop or it might had occured , now causing post herpetic neuralgia. Pain is burning in character. Associated with rashes that may be impending. 4. Acid peptic disease. 5.Local Trauma (might be unnoticed) leading to fracture of the ribs. I advise you following : 1.ECG 2.Xray Chest 3.Local skin examination. An examination with these investigations would clear the picture and the treatment would be based on the diagnosis. I hope I am able to answer your query , still if you have any query ask me.

Follow-up: What causes burning and pressure pain in the chest? 4 hours later
Thank you for your response. I honestly don't think it is any of those. It is a burning pressure that feels very close to the skin. Almost like if someone rubbed a warm gel across my chest. I also have a persistent discomfort under my right ribs if that helps. Does that help identify any other possibilities?

Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Get tested to be sure Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Another possibility is of chostrochondritis if you feel pain is in your ribs. However I would strongly advise you to consult your physician and get these investigations , as if the problem is due to heart you require immediace attention. Sometimes it's not proper heart attack , but it is Angina. So get tested be sure. You should not discard the possibilities I have mentioned because they are most common. I hope I am able to answer your query , still if you have any query ask me.

Follow-up: What causes burning and pressure pain in the chest? 5 hours later
I looked at the symptoms for chostrochondritis. It is definitely not that - I don't have any pain in the ribs. I haven't noticed any change with my heart after exertion. I had an ECG a few weeks ago and it was normal. What can a chest x-ray show?

Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get Investigated Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Try to understand , Lot of things are not the way they are on Google. You should avoid self diagnosing yourself based on researches done on google. Trust me , a physical examination and investigations can clear out all possible doubts , which might not present in a classical way. A Chest X-ray would rule out any Fracture , Pleural Effusion , Pneumonitis. Also get all routine investigations including Serum Calcium. This is my best possible opinion for you on the basis of details available. A physical examination would clear the picture. If you don't have further query , you may please close the discussion and rate it.

Follow-up: What causes burning and pressure pain in the chest? 8 hours later
Okay one last question. Which test would get a better view of my abdominal organs such as the gallbladder, pancreas, bowel and stomach? MRI or CT scan?

Brief Answer: ULTRASOUND IS INITIAL MODALITY. Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX It depends on what we want to see. Intial modality for screening is ultrasound of abdomen. If you find anything abnormal you go for further imaging. In most diseases Contrast Enhanced CT Abdomen is preferred. Good Luck