What causes bumps on toes and chronic joint pain when suffering from degenerative disc?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
the inside of my knees (medial side)(especially my left one) began hurting about 8 hours ago. it's increased quite a bit the last 3-4 hours. it feels bruised to the touch but no visible bruising. it hurts to walk. I'm 32, 5' 4", 160 pounds. I've had chronic pain in various joints for years. it suddenly appears and disappears. I've been to a variety of specialist and had a wide array of images on my brain and spine cking for MS that come back normal. I have multi level disc degeneration in my neck and several slightly protruding disc in my back. I have degenerative spurring in the middle of my left foot and recently have also gotten a couple bumps on my toes that have clear thick liquid if trying to pop them. my doctor doesn't know what is causing these things and the recent rheumatologist I saw said he couldn't diagnose RA and that I need to go to the Mayo Clinic. I get night sweats. I have days that I can be pretty normal and days where I can't crawl out of bed due to pain. what's going on!?
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Possibility of inflammatory poly-arthritis. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. As per your history and symptoms there is possibility of inflammatory poly-arthritis. You may need to do blood test to confirm diagnosis. When such patients come to our hospital I advise them blood test like ANA, RA factor, ACCP, ESR, complete blood count, HLA B27, thyroid profile. I will advise you to do MRI knee if symptoms of knee persist. Bump on toes with fluid inside indicate skin involvement which can be associated with systemic disease of arthritis. For neck symptoms medication like methylcobalamine with neurotropic [like pregabalin] and analgesic will reduce pain; you can take them consulting your treating doctor. Some exercises which can be done after pain has reduced include- gradual neck rotation, touching your ears to shoulder, shoulder shrugging exercises. You may consult physiotherapist for further guidance. He may start TENS, or ultrasound which is helpful in your case Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care

Follow-up: What causes bumps on toes and chronic joint pain when suffering from degenerative disc? 8 hours later
my doctor did ANA, RA, ACCP, CBC w/differential. All normal. she did TSH ck also it was .9

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Seronegative arthritis Detailed Answer: Hello again, If all your tests are normal and you are having degenerative arthritis then possibility of seronegative arthritis is more likely. What was result of ESR,CRP report? Do MRI of knee to see for meniscus or ligament injury. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care

Follow-up: What causes bumps on toes and chronic joint pain when suffering from degenerative disc? 11 hours later
why is this so hard for all these doctors to figure out? my primary care doc even acted like disc degeneration is normal and this degenerative spurring in my foot is just aches and pains of aging (yea cause at 32 I better be preparing my will right?!).

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 2 days later
Brief Answer: Multidisciplinary approach is better than single doctor consultation. Detailed Answer: Many a times arriving at a diagnosis of inflammatory arthritis is challenging. You would need to work closely with an orthopedician and rheumatologist for best treatment results. You can discuss about getting referred to these specialist if your current GP is unable to help you. I hope doctors at Mayoclinic would do a good job; if you decide to consult them. I will be available to guide you within the scope of e-medicine. Regards