What causes bubbly popping cough?

General Surgeon
My husband has been using a cpap w/oxygen for about 3 years now. For a period of time he didn't use the oxygen but now that he has started again, he has a really bubbly popping cough. He says it is from all the moisture he gets from the cpcap. What's going on?
Posted Mon, 10 Feb 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Serious symptom. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Bubbly popping cough can be a very serious symptom of heart failure, pulmonary edema or some infection. Especially if he has also shortness of breath, sweating, pale skin, coughing with blood. As this can be life threatening please do not wait with it and visit a doctor as soon as possible. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow-up: What causes bubbly popping cough? 4 hours later
Thank you. He doesn't have any blood when he coughs and the sweating symptoms are fairly a recent development. He has had some edema in his lower legs around his ankles. We just figured the shortness of breath was related to being overweight. He does have a doctor visit coming up shortly and I plan to go with him this time. I tell him things to talk to his doctor about but nothing ever seems to happen so I don't think he really follows through!
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 hours later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Leg swelling, shortness of breath and the cough indicate rather heart failure. Obesity is one of the factors which has caused it. But the main reason is heart problem. He should visit a doctor shortly, otherwise he may be at the point where nothing can be done. Regards.