What causes bruise and a lump on the heel ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My boyfriend has a bruise and a white lump on the heel of his foot and its painful and he is limping!!! Can u please tell what it could be!!! ~~ From XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 17 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: A fracture is likely. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The bruise and a lump on the heel could be due to blunt trauma to the bone or soft tissue around it leading to break in capillary blood vessels which in turn give rise to haematoma (internal bleeding and clot). Rest assured it will subside in a week if there is no bone injury. But if he has a persistent pain, and he is not able to bear his weight on the foot then a fracture needs to be ruled out. Please go ahead and confirm the diagnosis with X-ray and CT scan. Till then allow the foot to rest and avoid any weight bearing on it. Use anti inflammatory medications prescribed by the physician for few days. He can practice what is called R.I.C.E. This stands for rest, icing the area of injury, compression-use a bandage to reduce the swelling and elevation- elevation of the affected area reduces the swelling and may also have a positive impact on the pain. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL