Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes brown discharge with urine?

General Surgeon
I pee this morning n it was brown discharge (dry blood) when I whipped myself!!!! I had came on Sunday it was light red then the next day it was brown now today it's just in my pee!!!!!! period was 3-4 days late
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Brown urine can indicate blood in the urine or jaundice. Blood in the urine is usually caused by urinary tract infection or stones. However it is always necessary to rule out bladder cancer (especially if you smoke and are in the middle age). Urinary tract infection/stones give also burning when urinating, frequent urinating, lower abdominal pain. Jaundice due to liver diseases or bile ducts obstruction can give such symptoms as well. You may also have whitish stool, upper right abdominal pain, nausea, yellow skin, skin itching. I suggest you to have some diagnostics. Start with urine analysis. In case of infection antibiotics are necessary. If no infection will be present, just blood, urologist consult and cystoscopy to rule out cancer should be done. Please also increase mineral water intake and start cranberries supplementation. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.