What causes brain shrinkage due to lack of blood flow to brain in a child?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
To Dr XXXXXXX , can I send you my sons MRI results to read and explain to me? And how can I do that? Thx u
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes, you can send them. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for getting back. You can upload the MRI results here on this website for me to have a look. If you require any assistance, the healthcare magic team would assist you. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: What causes brain shrinkage due to lack of blood flow to brain in a child? 1 hour later
I can't figure it out and no one is responding to help me from health magic if u just kindly send me your email I can forward it to you if that is not permitted then you won't be able to help my son which is very sad ...

Brief Answer: Please send it to the email below Detailed Answer: Please send the MRI report to YYYY@YYYY In Subject, please mention: ATTN DR XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Best wishes, Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX MD DM (Neurology)

I will have the attachment sent and thx you for your reply. You should receive it today please let me know if you have received it ASAP otherwise I will try again to resend. My other son will forwarded it for me because I am unable. This is a very serious matter as my child is suffering with bipolar rapid cycle 1 and is 29 and these ten consequent days are physically so restless he can't stop twitching turning and is agitated and looks like an ALS patient . Then he recovers..20 days perfect calm not restless ...now he has become incontinent at night and what is next???? Is there any indicator in the MRI brain or spine to explain incontinence every night??? He was never before ?? Thx u

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: There is no need to worry Detailed Answer: Thank you, I have not yet received the MRI report. I would go through the report as soon as I receive it and get back to you with my opinion. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Please see the attached. Scanned with TurboScan. Moe Liebman

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: I have seen the MRI report of your son in detail. I would first like to reassure you that there are no serious abnormalities on his MRI. There is shrinkage of brain, which could be related to old ischemia (lack of blood flow to brain) or hypoxia (lack of oxygen supply to brain). These are old findings and there is no active brain disease, as per the report. There is no brain tumor, or infection or infarcts (blood clots). Also, the MRI findings can not explain his psychiatric symptoms or urinary incontinence. You can follow the advice of a psychiatrist and a urologist respectively for the above symptoms. I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: What causes brain shrinkage due to lack of blood flow to brain in a child? 28 minutes later
Why should my son have lack of oxygène or blood flow to the brain? Why does he have brain atrophy?thx

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Thank you for getting back. These events (lack of blood flow or oxygen supply to brain) happen very early in life, mostly during the birth (or just after birth and sometimes even while the baby is developing in mother's uterus). Sometimes, brain surgery or anaesthesia can have similar effects. These are the usual reasons for brain atrophy. Depression and severe psychiatric diseases can also lead to brain atrophy in some cases. A detailed history of early life events would be useful. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: What causes brain shrinkage due to lack of blood flow to brain in a child? 45 minutes later
XXXXXXX was a baby that did not kick much in utero but was born in 45 minutes ( my third child) and had no trauma during delivery . He never had brain surgery but had many development delays and learning disabilities which no one knew why. For the last 5 years he has bipolar rapid cycle 1 manic for ten days as you know etc..... If that is the reason for atrophy and if medications do not help him what is his future going to be?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Based on the history of early development delay and learning disability, the insult to brain happened early in his infancy (probably in perinatal period, around the time of birth). We do not expect his brain condition to worsen in future, as the insult that occurs to the brain in early neonatal period is non-progressive. So, once his bipolar is well treated, and he undergoes physical therapy, he would do well. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: What causes brain shrinkage due to lack of blood flow to brain in a child? 4 hours later
Same son XXXXXXX do u know why the middle of his chest is itchy...... I understand when his lithium was slowly weaned he was itchy but now it's been a month since that....it could be the riluzole pill I give him only for the ten manic days then stop suddenly could this be cause if his itch??thx u

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Difficult to say the exact reason Detailed Answer: Hi, It is difficult to say whether the itch is drug related (lithium or riluzole) or not. However, it is less likely to be due to medications, as the itching caused by them would be more widespread, affecting several parts of the body. A dermatologist opinion would help. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)