What causes bleeding and abdominal discomfort after taking Mifegest?

Hello Doctor My wife took mifegest 200mg on 10th feb as per doctors advise to abort 50 days preganancy(as on 10th Feb 2014). after 2 days she was told to take zitotec 200mg 3 tablets i.e. on 12th feb. After taking zitotec she had severe bleeding for about 6 hrs and pain (pain as per her was like her 1st time normal delivery which happened in november 2012). She noticed clots and sack type in the bleeding. Slowly the bleeding came down and pain also was ok. After a week the bleeding stopped but she had little uncomfortable feeling in her stomach. Today we visited the doc again and they did a ultrasound scan and we were told that little tissues are left out in the uterus and shee needs to take cytolog 200mg (1-0-1) for 3 days starting from 22nd Feb. we are told to visit again on 26th for scan and confirmation of complete abortion else we need to go for surgical removal as per doc. Is this dosage ok for removal of the left out tissues? and will it not cause any harm to her helath and will she be able to conceive again in future. Please help. She is still breastfeeding our 1.3yrs daughter. Please advise. Also by taking this cytolog will it ensure complete abortion or is it must to undergo surgical removal even after this.
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Surgical abortion can be avoided with this. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The mild retained products of conception can be easily expelled with the the dose that has been prescribed to your wife. Taking mifegest can be associated with menstrual irregularities for next few cycles. This can result in retained products in around 10% cases which then needs a surgical abortion. This can be detected only after an ultrasound scan done after taking cytolog. You can avoid a surgical abortion by taking cytolog. This is not likely to affect her future pregnancies or conception. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL