What causes backache with abdominal pain?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have been experiencing a bruised type (sore) feeling in my mid back (thoracic area). No bruises visible, and doesn't hurt to the touch. When bend or lean my shoulders forward it feels like my mid back muscles are stretching and pulling off my spine. Very tight and sore. I also have an upper abdominal pain right under rib cage.
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Muscular or ligamentous strain. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for your query. From description , it seems you might developed muscular or ligamentous strain over back.Any strained muscle when stretched gives severe pain. Upper abdominal pain could be due to gastritis. Following measures will help with the pain • Lie on a hard bed. • Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required • Avoid forward bending. • Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights. • Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile WWW.WWWW.WW Take care
Follow-up: What causes backache with abdominal pain? 13 minutes later
Thank you for the information. If it's Muscular or ligamentous strain, how long can it last? And is it normal to have been this sore (bruise) type pain for a month? What are the causes to have brought it on? With the measures you mentioned to apply, is this something that typically goes away on it's own or do I need to see a chiropracter or back specialist for special treatment?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Generally take 3-4 weeks to heal. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Muscular or ligamentous strain over back generally take 3-4 weeks to heal. It generally goes with rest and the above mentioned measures. If the pain is severe even after 3-4 weeks ,I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. You may get the MRI of the area affected under his/her guidance.
Follow-up: What causes backache with abdominal pain? 2 minutes later
Thank you. One last question, could this type of pain be related to a hiatal hernia or pancreatic cancer?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Not seems to be related. Detailed Answer: Hello, I am glad to know that I cold address your concern. This type of pain not seems to be related to hiatal hernia or pancreatic cancer. Hope this discussion was useful. Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service. Warm regards.