What causes appearence of facial hair when on hypothyroid medication?

Jan 2014

I have started getting facial hair from a few years now around 3 years, specially on my chin, upperlips. Can u tell me what could be the reason for it and how can I stop this? Also, I am a hypothyroid patient nd am under medication.
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hirsutism Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome to heathcaremagic. I am Dr. Kakkar, I have gone through and I have understood your concern I would like to gather some more information from you in order to be able to help you better. -Are the facial hair dark and coarse?Or are they fine and brown? -Are your menstural cycles regular? OR whether you have any irregularity in your menstural cycles*? -Do you also suffer from acne*?? *Menstural irregularity and Acne might be an indication of underlying hormonal abnormality. Coarse facial hair in females OR Hirsutism can be due to underlying hormonal abnormality. A few blood tests can be performed to look for any underlying hormonal abnormality. --Serum Testosterone --Serum DHEAS(Dihydroepiandrostenedione sulphate). --Serum LH/FSH --Serum Prolactin --Pelvic ultrasound for polycystic ovaries. Underlying hormonal abnormality if discovered on history and physical examination and confirmed by lab test needs to be simultaneously treated with Anti-androgen therapy whilst undergoing Laser hair reduction. Laser hair reduction (LHR) is a very safe and reliable way for facial hair reduction. regards take care