What causes and treatment for recurring sharp pain over the left eye?

I have a sharp pain, very local, over my left eye, at he side of the eyebrow, that occurs when I shave and wash there with hot water. It passes quite quicly, and does not bother me at any other time. It has happened before, for perhaps sevral months, and then stopped by itself. It is now recurring. Anything I can do? XXXX
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Unlikely to be a serious concern... Detailed Answer: Dear XXXX I went through your post diligently. I understand you suffer from recurring sharp pain over the left eye which lasts briefly. This seems to be secondary to a neuralgic pain. However since the aches are short lived and only occurs from stimulation, I wouldn't be concerned. You can visit a doctor for low dose gabapentine or carbamazepine medicines if these symptoms start to trouble you. In brief, you need to act upon this problem unless it starts to trouble you more frequently. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Follow-up: What causes and treatment for recurring sharp pain over the left eye? 21 hours later
The reason I’m concerned is that I’m scheduled for cataract eye surgery in two weeks. I assume that will involve a good bit of touching around where it’s most sensitive, right now below the eyebrow. Does whatever anesthetic they use for the cataract surgery prevent that neuralgic pain? Any idea what might have brought it on, or what I can do to avoid it? Thanks for your help. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Anaesthetic agents should take care of it.... Detailed Answer: Hi, Systemic anaesthetic agent used during cataract surgery should be able to take care of this pain. However most cataract surgery are performed only using topical eye anesthesia. You can discuss with your surgeon before hand. If needed, he can use a mild sedative; that should take care of the pain. As far as cause is concerned, most often we do not find the cause. It may be attributed to inflammatory condition, old trauma or infection. As I said earlier, if it's disturbing you every day, you can visit a neurologist and plan its treatment. The doctor would conduct a few tests to rule out causes before initiating treatment. Hope this helps you XXXX. I would be pleased to answer other follow-ups that you might have. Good luck!