What causes an itchy rasied scar after an injury?

Hi ,I am 28 yrs old male .I had an injury on my forehead in 2012 .I fell off a bike and injured my right side of the head .I was diagnosed for external wounds and I had few stitches which has left a scar on my forehead . I still can feel that the right side of my head extending all the way to the scalp is hard and I have an itchy scalp. I am not sure if the injury has left behind some kind of a rash . How do I approach diagnosing this problem.
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: you could be having hypertrophic scar or keloid Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to us. From the description provided, it seems you could be having a hypertrophic scar or may be having keloid formation. After any injury when the wound starts healing,new collagen bundles form to help the lesion heal. Sometimes there could be a disorganised and excessive accumulation of these collagen bundles leading to formation of a raised scar which may be limited to site of wound or stiches( hypertrophic scar) or extend well beyond the boundaries of original wound( keloid) Now both these raised scars are itchy, hard and indurated. These can easily be diagnosed by visualising the lesion. For the same,I would appreciate if you could attach an image of your affected area showing your scar. These scars are treatable. If small and mild hypertrophy is there usually silicone gel( hexilac, opexa, contractubex etc) and steroid cream helps. If large and excessively hypertrophied, intralesional steroid injections help. Please upload the images of your scar, so that we may take this discussion further. Take care
Follow-up: What causes an itchy rasied scar after an injury? 35 minutes later
I have uploaded the images in my profile . You can notice that I have lost hair in the areas around the scar .and the hardness extends to the entire scalp area on the right .I have also noticed small boils on my scalp which is dark in color .I am not sure if it is related .
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 22 hours later
Brief Answer: Please upload the pics again Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing back. I cant find any images attached with your query. You may upload the images by clicking on upload report/image icon which is on right side of query page. Also you may send the pics to YYYY@YYYY and mention ATTN: Dr Kalpana Pathak in subject line. Waiting to see the pics. Regards
Follow-up: What causes an itchy rasied scar after an injury? 10 minutes later
I am sorry Dr.Kalpana .I have attached it now .Please review .Thank you for your response .
Brief Answer: Use opexa gel and a mild steroid cream Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back. I have seen the attached image. Scarring is present along the line of injury and sutures. In my opinion you may use following medicines to soften the scar and reduce itching Apply a vitamin c and silicone based gel ie opexa gel twice in a day over affected area. Take a small amount of gel and massage onto the affected area with a firm hand Apply fluticasone cream over affected area once in a day Take tablet cetirizine twice in a day. Once you feel that itching is controlled, you may reduce it once in a day use or discontinue its use Follow this for a month and get back to me for follow up. Take care