What causes air and gas after urination post total hip replacement?
User rating for this question
Hi - my husband is recovering from a total hip replacement and now seems to be dealing with a bacterial infection, possibly of the prostate, but comes with air or gas spurting out after he finishes urinating. It can be very loud and sputter for quite a while. His GP doesn't think it's much, but put him on antibiotics. We requested to see a urologist, and he has a ct scan tomorrow. The surgeon expressed significant concern about the infection and said we need to get it taken care of asap. Is it appropriate for us to push to see the urologist right away - instead of 10 days out when the appointment is - and would the catheter he had during the surgery have caused or contributed to this? It's been 5 weeks since the surgery.
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: I would vote to see urologist immediately. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX Air and gas coming out suggests an anaerobic infection. There can be two approaches. See urologist and get appropriate antibiotics. Second is to get urine culture test done.This test will determine which organism is causing infection and which antibiotic is appropriate to treat it. At the moment your GP must have put him on an empirical broad spectrum antibiotic.This may or may not help. Hope this helps.Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.
People also viewed
- Urinary tract infect with sore back
- Problems after total hip replacement
- Is it continue thyronorm(thyroxine sodium tablet 25mcg during pregnancy
- Grinding after total hip replacement
- Blood in urine back pain medicine
- Back to school and nightime incontinence
- Mild tricuspid valve regurgitation 26 mhg
- Abnormal ekg and 26 years old
- Driving after total hip replacement
- After total hip replacement
- Albumin trace urine pregnancy 26 weeks
- Interstitial cystitis and back pain
- Letrozole 2.5mg dupaston missed periods
- Low right side back and pelvic pain
- Restrictions after total hip replacement