What causes acidity?

Gastroenterologist
Question
sometime is I feel huge acid burn in my stomach. I just go wild, I just drink access water and then vomat it, eno gives me relief sometime. , It takes between 15min- 1 hour to become everything normal. There is no fix time for this, in office, sleeping, travelling, even right in the morning. this is happening for last 3 years.
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query. I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you. You have mentioned that you have "acid burn" in your stomach. There could be a possible peptic ulcer. Drinking water and eno alone will not provide relief. You need to take PPI medications like omeprazole for relief. An upper GI endoscopy should be done to look for peptic ulcer. One of the common causes is H.pylori infection. You need to get tested for this infection and if found positive, it has to be treated for complete relief from your symptoms. So fix an appointment with your gastroenterologist for an endoscopy. Till then take OTC omeprazole for pain relief. I hope that answers your question. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: What causes acidity? 0 minute later
I generally take 5-6 tea or coffee, is it because of that?

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, Coffee and tea do not cause acidity. But these can worsen the symptoms of an already existing acidity problem. The two most common causes are - H pylori infection and intake of pain killer medications. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini