What causes abdominal bloating?

General Surgeon
Hi, My stomach feels bloated and is round and hard. almost like a pregnant stomach (6 months) however I am not pregnant. I quit smoking XXXXXXX 6 and since then this has developed. Its getting harder to even lay down. I had an ultrasound done last week but I am still awaiting results. I am just worried its something serious as my eating habits haven't change and I exercise regularly. However I haven't been able to lately as my stomach just doesn't feel right.
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Constipation. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Such bloated abdomen can appear due to constipation (quite common when quit smoking). However it can be also bowels obstruction due to inflammatory bowels disease. The difference between constipation and obstruction is that when you have constipation, you can excrete gas. If its obstruction, gas can not be passed. Obstruction causes also cramping. In case of both conditions, ultrasound wont give much answers. I suggest you to have abdominal X-ray done which will rule out obstruction. To get rid of constipation (if you feel its more it) you should: - take some stool softeners to get rid of the current stool - increase fiber rich products and mineral water intake to prevent further constipation - start probiotic intake - it may takes few weeks or even a month for the bowels to get back to normal Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.