What causes a red ring around the iris with burning sensation?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
The other night I fell asleep with my contacts in. I took them out the following morning. All that day I had a red ring around my iris and a burning sensation. Now on day 2 the eye is still red, not burning anymore, but is very light sensitive. Is it possible I scratched something when taking the lens out?.
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please follow up with ophthalmologist... Detailed Answer: Hi, Keeping the contacts lenses in while you fell asleep have caused irritation (red ring around your iris and burning sensation) together with possible infection. I advise to : - wash your eyes with water thoroughly - clean your eyes with chamomile tea after washing them - do not put your contacts in until improvement Since it is the 2nd day and not burning, continue washing your eyes thoroughly (cold water is advised). You might need to apply artificial tear to avoid dryness of the eyes. At the end, I suggest to schedule an appointment with your ophthalmologist to rule out infection or other local injuries in order to start further treatment you might need. Only eye examination can determine if something might have been scratching or not. Take care! Dr.Bardha