What causes a feeling that the heart is outside ribcage?

I think it would be either left sub-clavian vein or artery, lateral mid torso--why does it feel like my heart is outside my rib cage when I lay on my left side? Is that normal? I do have HTN, but I never think to ask this when I see my doctor. Thank you.
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Further cardiac tests suggested... Detailed Answer: Hi, It is normal to feel that your heart is outside your ribcage as it is due to anatomy of heart near to ribcage. As long as your HTN is under control, there is nothing to be worried about. I suggest to do EKG, stress test and holter monitoring to evaluate your cardio-vascular function. Hope it was of help! Dr.Benard