What casues swollen lymph nodes and blood in stool?

Apr 2014

50 year old male no illness other than the norm last time i had a cold 6 months ago(mild) only meds take are mild dose of viagra (generic) For the last three weeks now my lymph glands in my throat have swollen up may two to three times a week and go down by night fall. This week I have had blood in my stool twice. I feel fine and have no other problems.
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Large gland in neck may be due to throat infection Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to us You need proper clinical examination.You need examination of tonsils and swollen glands in neck.Generally enlarged lymph nodes in neck region is due to benign reasons like throat infection,head and ear infection etc.These are the sites of draining lymph nodes. In most of the cases it doesn't require any treatment and it will resolve after some time. You need routine blood examination like routine hemogram,RBS,throat swab culture and sensitivity. Mostly throat infections are due to virus whereas some are caused by bacteria.Without tests it is usually not possible to tell whether it is a viral or bacterial infection.Antibiotics kill bacteria but do not kill viruses. Antibiotics are needed in complicated cases. Since you have swelling for three weeks you can take combination of amoxycillin 500 mg with clavulanic acid 125 mg thrice daily for seven days. Antihistaminics like cetrizine is also helpful. Analgesics are advised when it is associated with pain. You should also gargle with warm salt water and should rest your voice. For blood in stool you need clinical examination and investigations like stool examination(routine and culture).It may be due to many reasons like hemorrhoids,anal fissure,large intestine pathology etc. Proper treatment depend upon clinical examination and investigation reports. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX