What care should be given after removal of ingrown toe nail?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
just had half big toe nail removed, ingrown town nail, what is after care, when can I shower, should I soak it, if so in what? didn't get ant answer dr
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer: hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. You can remove bandages and start soaking it after 48 hours. also you should avoid long standing or wallking in first 2 days. It can be done in salty warm water 2 times per day and put sterile gauze after soaking. After 3-4 days,soaking is not necessary anymore and you can leave it open.also,wear comfortable shoes and avoid pressure on this nail in next 4 weeks. Some complications are rare and you just need to wait until it heals. It usually takes 6-10 weeks. Wish you good health.feel free to ask