What can cause sore throat,headache and weakness post tonsillectomy ?

Hi there, (22 male.)

Currently going through hell, 3 years a go i was suffering chronic tonsillitus every 3 months, which finally resulted in a tonsillectomy. 2 years after my tonsils being removed, I am constantly feeling run down with a sore throat, glands and headache. I feel absolutely energyless. What is the cause? Years a go a doctor thought i may be diabetic? Was never tested though. Is it due to a poor diet? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 16 minutes later

After going through the description provided by you, I am of the opinion that you seem to be suffering with chronic or recurrent sore throat infection and some of the causes has to be ruled out in your case. These include:

1)     Infectious mononucleosis: It is a viral illness which causes sore throat, fatigue, tiredness, swollen glands and a general lack of energy. Mostly mononucleosis occurs once in life but in some cases mononucleosis symptoms may recur months or even years later. Specific blood tests, such as the monospot and heterophile antibody tests, can confirm the diagnosis.

2)     A recurrent or chronic sore throat can be due to allergies, viral or bacterial infections, outdoor air pollution, smoking cigarettes or chewing tobacco, acid reflux of the stomach or airway obstruction. You need to be thoroughly examined by an ENT specialist and get a throat swab done to rule out any infections causing sore throat.

It is true that diabetes can cause lack of energy and fatigue. But to completely rule it out, you need to get a fasting blood sugar levels and a HBA1c done.

Poor diet does not directly lead to a sore throat infection but it can cause weakness, tiredness and a general malaise especially when it is accompanied by any nutritional anemia. It can predispose the body to a lowered immune system and infections can occur.

I suggest you to see an ENT specialist and get the above mentioned causes ruled out by means of investigations. Till then, drink plenty of fluids throughout the day and use over-the-counter throat lozenges. Salt water gargle is also a good way to relieve a sore throat. In addition, you can take anti inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen and acetaminophen after consulting your general physician. Chewing hard candies and ginger lemon tea and inhaling steam would also help.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.