What can cause hurting in tongue, sore throat and itching in right ear?

ENT Specialist
Right side of my tongue hurting since 2 days just a small portion at the right side edge... there is no lymph or anything. It hurts when my teeth touch that place. I have sore throat and my right ear was itchy only once 2 days back. Please advise. Took Betasules 1 tab and oraheal 1 tab this morning... felt Ok for few minutes and again it started. Thanks for the help
Posted Thu, 16 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Use hexidine mouth wash and triamcinolone gel Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. It seems that there is an ulcer or raw area on the lateral border of tongue. The causes of this can be an irregular tooth adjoining that area which becuase of chronic irritation can cause this. Other reasons can be dietary deficiancy related ulceration or aphthous stomatitis or ulceration associated with gut related problems. Even chronic gastritis can also be related with this. As you have sore throat, infection s of the upper respiratory tract especially the viral ones can lead to sore throat. Tobacco or other irritants like areca nut can also lead to such ulcers/raw area. You have not given the history of any habit or tooth complaint. So, your problem most likely is related to the ulceration which can be associated with the sore throat. Please use hexidine mouth wash and triamcinolone gel for local application along with B complex you are already taking. These should be available over the counter. If the problem is not resolved in few days and there is a visible ulcer, please consult an ENT. Feel free to ask another query. Regards
Follow-up: What can cause hurting in tongue, sore throat and itching in right ear? 5 minutes later
Thanks for the reply. yes you are right. My right side teeth are irregular and they are touching the same place where the pain is. I also have a habbit of eating pan daily. May be I shd quit that now.. Is this a XXXXXXX that having ulcers on tongue? Sorry bit tensed here. Thanks again for your time and help here Dr. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Stop pan, can be XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. Please consult a dentist and get the sharp tooth margin smoothened. Also quitting pan/tobacco is always welcome and recommended. It is XXXXXXX to have ulcers on tongue especially with habits. Please consult an ENT and get the area examined. Stop using pan as it is always beneficial. Feel free to ask another query. Regards