What can cause fluttering sensation in upper stomach?

After dinner last evening, my upper stomach to mid stomach to the right of the left breast below the chest bone I started feeling a fluttering sensation-like a pulsing sensation. Is is from gas or over eating or heitus hernia-I'm not in pain-just a fluttering sensation. My email is YYYY@YYYY
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: GERD vs arrhythmia Detailed Answer: Dear patient, Thanks for your query. Given the time of the symptoms, it could be related to a digestive problem, spasm or gas (bloatings) vs reflux; nevertheless, it is also possible that a self-limiting arrhytmia precipitated after eating is causing the fluttering chest sensation; my best recommendation would be to consider the possibility of a wearable Holter monitor, that records electrical activity of the heart for 24 hours, if you do have symptoms everyday. Otherwise, an event monitor may be ideal if your symptoms are more sporadic. If no arrhythmias detected, we can probably work up Gastrointestinal causes. Hope this helps wish you the best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic MN Cardiology
Follow-up: What can cause fluttering sensation in upper stomach? 11 hours later
Thank you! I have an update! No pulsating since early this morning. I did want to mention that there was lots of burping and some Bowel movements in excess of normal once a day. Also, the pulsating wasn't painful just like a baby kicking in uterus....thought this info would helpful. I did take my blood pressure and it's normal. One other part of this equation, is that I didn't sleep for two days preparing fir Christmas dinner and my father in law passed away friends think it is stress, but I was very nervous with this pulsating baby kicking like movement. Let me know any more thoughts,,, Thsnk you!
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Probably gastrointestinal Detailed Answer: Thanks for the updates. With the additional constellation of burping, some excess bowel movements and stress, it is more likely to be a gastrointestinal disturbance, irritable bowel syndrome vs hiatal hernia vs reflux. For now then now that the stress levels are down, I would monitor the symptoms. If pervasive and cumbersome, then a consultation with a GI doctor would be the next course of action. Yours truly, Dr B