What can cause blue sclera of eye in child ?

My daughter is 8 months old and since she was born the whites of her eyes have been tinted blue... I noticed today that they are getting darker... Any idea why this happens?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
The white portion of the eye is called as sclera. In case of small children like your daughter is, it is comparatively thinner as compared to the adults. Due to the thinness the colour of the underlying collagen is seen which gives a bluish hue to the sclera. In children this bluish tinge in sclera is absolutely a a normal finding. You need not worry about it.
As she grows big, gradually it will become white.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.

Follow-up: What can cause blue sclera of eye in child ? 42 hours later
I've just heard of cases as far as infant or adults having something called britle bone disease. Just want to make sure that's something I don't need to be concerned with...
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Hi Jenklen,

Thanks for writing back to me.

Its is very difficult to pin-point to a single condition with the just a single sign (blue sclera). There are various conditions which causes blue sclera.

The condition which you are referring to (brittle bone disease) could be one such possibility. It is called Osteogenesis imperfecta.

Other conditions are
1. Marfan's syndrome
2. Pseudoxanthoma elasticum
3. Ehlers-danlos syndrome
And of course it is also present in few newborn who are other wise normal.

So I suggest you to consult a pediatrician who will do a thorough examination and after few investigation will tell you about the diagnosis.

I hope my answer has been adequate and informative. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.