What can be unilateral swelling of leg in child ?

please help i am a little concerned about my nieces 6 month old son , his right leg is much larger than his left leg, in fact it looks swelled , do u know what it might be
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 4 hours later

Unilateral(one side) swelling of a 6 month old infant needs detailed evaluation.,clinical examination- systemic examination includes cardiovascular, respiratory , Abdominal .
Local examination includes measurement of the both limb girth, palpating for the groin lymph nodes.

The causes are :
1. Milroy disease- congenital absence of the lymphatic channels leads to accumulation of the lymph in the leg causing swelling.
2. Cellulitis- Bacterial infection of the subcutaneous fat which often associated with fever, redness of the involved area, pain to touch.
3. A mass may obstruct the veins of the leg causing swelling of the leg.
4. Lymphatic obstruction by the infectious disorder like Filariasis , Loa loa etc.

A detailed evaluation is needed to rule out the above causes.

I cannot give a exact cause as i have not seen and examine the baby. I suggest you to consult a Paediatrician for a detailed evaluation.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.