What can be the red colored extra growth inside my lip?

I have recently (2 days) developed a very small red colored growth inside of my lip, what can it be? . It comes in the morning and almost goes during the day. Also have a ulcer, which normally comes when I have mango.

Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

The ulcer on the lips that comes when you eat mangoes could be an aphthous ulcer or canker sore. It can be caused by stress, citrus or acidic fruits and vegetables or an impaired immune system and nutritional problems, such as vitamin B-12, zinc, folic acid, or iron deficiency.

Try to avoid eating spicy or acidic foods during this time. You can use topical ointments like numbing ointments, such as benzocaine, anti-inflammatory (steroid) gels or Benadryl allergy liquid mouthwash. If the symptoms are severe then you may need oral preparations of steroids which are available under prescription. Also take some multivitamin supplements for some days.

The red growth that comes and goes can be due to contact dermatitis or canker sore but if it persists for a longer time then a possibility of pyogenic granuloma is there which should be ruled out after complete physical examination by a doctor. Pyogenic granuloma appears in the mouth as an overgrowth of tissue to due irritation, physical trauma or hormonal factors.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.