What can be the reason for sore throat and swollen neck while on Cymbalta ?

Type 1 dm since 1969; last Hba1c (10 days ago) 7.3. CSII. Recent electrolyte imbalance - hyponatremia, low bicarb and chloride, as well as serious vit D deficiency. Long standing depression, and SSRI has recently failed after 12yrs. Have just started on Cymbalta 3 days ago. Now I have a very sore throat and neck glands are up a bit. Thyroid function was normal last week. Any ideas?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 7 hours later

I can understand the pain and agony you're going through. The sore throat and swollen glands which you're going through likely seem to be due to some infection which could be a bacterial or a viral one. Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection and the swollen lymph glands of neck in your case might be due to the sore throat or pharyngitis. It would be better to get a complete blood count. A rise in the white cell count and especially the neutrophils is usually suggestive of a bacterial infection. In viral infections, usually the white cell count doesn't rise.

It would be better to get a throat swab done. The throat swab culture helps in finding the underlying organism causing the infection. A monospot test and EBV (epstein barre virus) serology should help in ruling out infectious mononucleosis which comes up with sore throat and fatigue as its primary symptoms.

The common side effects of Cymbalta are nausea, headache, fatigue and dry mouth. Cymbalta doesn't cause sore throat as a side effect and thus cymbalta doesn't seem to be the culprit in your case.

You will likely need anti-inflammatories and antibiotics if it’s a bacterial infection. I'll suggest to get examined by a physician for the same. Till then, drink plenty of fluids throughout the day and use over-the-counter throat lozenges. Salt water gargle is also a good way to relieve a sore throat. In addition, take ibuprofen and paracetamol (acetaminophen) after consulting your general physician. Sucking hard candies and ginger lemon tea and inhaling steam would also help.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.