What can be the cause of thumping tightness in the center of the chest ?

Question
hello, the other day I had a tightness in the center of my chest and then a sort of like a thump and it went away, could that have been a gas bubble, and this morning my BP was 130/65 pulse 72 is this okay
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

There's a dictum in medical science " any pain above the navel should be considered as pain originating from the heart, unless proved otherwise." For this tightness in the centre of the chest, a possibility of a coronary artery disease needs to be ruled out. In this, there's a blockage in one or more blood vessels supplying the heart muscle.

AN EKG, stress EKG, coronary angiography and cardiac enzymes like CK-MB & Trop-I help in ruling out coronary artery disease. A 24 hour EKG monitoring may be required to rule out any rhythm disorder of the heart as the thump in the heart could possibly be due to a rhythm disturbance.

If the tightness in the chest tends to get worsened with exertion like walking or running or cycling, then it further increases the likelihood of the chest pain being due to coronary artery disease.

Please do consult a physician for the same.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: What can be the cause of thumping tightness in the center of the chest ? 23 minutes later
would this also account for the light headedness I have been fealing, not every day, but I also take Gabapentin at night for nerve pain and I have COPD, just had a EKG last month it wa normal and blood work done 3 months ago and all was normal so do I still need to get this checked

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 12 hours later

Good you hear from you again.

As you have mentioned that you're also suffering with COPD, then there's a possibility of an acute exacerbation of COPD being the culprit in causing the tightness of the chest. An infection of the respiratory tract is the commonest precipitant of an acute exacerbation of COPD.

An EKG can possibly miss an underlying coronary artery disease. Hence, it makes sense to get a stress EKG done. A possibility of coronary artery disease still needs to be ruled out. I don't suppose the tightness has got anything to do with the nerve pain which you're suffering from.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you a good health.

Follow-up: What can be the cause of thumping tightness in the center of the chest ? 8 hours later
I went yesterday to the ER and the Dr. did nd EKG and blood work and said everything was normal, so I hope this means everything is okay withmy heart, she also listened with a stethascope t my chest and neck and said she hears no blockage, does all this mean my heart is okay?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 26 hours later

Good you hear from you again.

I sincerely wish that you don't have a heart disease.

It's good to know that your resting EKG and blood work has come out as normal. However, I must tell you that auscultating the heart sounds with the stethoscope and normal EKG does not rule out heart blocks completely.

A stress EKG is a much more sensitive test to diagnose the coronary artery disease. Discuss with your doctor about stress EKG. The stress EKG is entailed

Hope this answer is adequate and informative.

Wish you a good health.