What can be done for numbness in hands at night while sleeping?

I have night time numbness in my left hand first & then my right for about two weeks when I got up & moved around it would go away but no more What to do?
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 52 minutes later
Brief answer....given below Detailed answer.... Hello, Thanks for the query. I need certain informations from you before answering you properly. Do you get numbness in your entire hand or only a part of hand? Do you get up from sleep due to the pain ? Is there any history of diabetes,alcoholism,hypothyroidism etc? Have you been investigated for VIT B 12,VIT D and iron deficiency? Any other problem besides numbness? Have you consulted any doctor for this ? Awaiting your reply. Best of luck Thanks
Follow-up: What can be done for numbness in hands at night while sleeping? 12 hours later
My numbness is in both my entire hands and fingers. Yes I wake up from the pain. Alcoholism is on my fathers side , but I do not drink. I take Vit. B-1 Vit D-3. I have not had other problems at this time with this. I have not contacted my doctor because I have no ins. He makes you come in and charges at least $100.00 per visit. My main concern is this started about 2 weeks ago, I could then get up & about 1 hour later it would go away...not now it is lasting all day Waiting for your reply Pandora XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 54 minutes later
Hello, Normally we feel numbness on our hands and fingers whenever we sleep lying on them,but once we change our position,the numbness goes away. In many cases,it doesn't go away. The way you get up from sleep and experience pain along with numbness,it requires further investigation,as it could mean some ongoing medical problem. These symptoms are called as peripheral neuropathy. In 30% cases,the symptoms are due to diabetes. In 30% cases,the cause is unknown. In rest of the cases,the cause could be cervical osteoarthritis,carpal tunnel syndrome,cubit us tunnel syndrome,hypothyroidism,deficiency of VIT B12 and VIT D,iron calcium,spinal or brain problems and rarely due to conditions like HIV,syphilis,amyloidosis etc. You need to be seen by a neurologist and subjected to detailed investigations because treatment would depend upon the diagnosis and there is a long list of causes for such symptoms. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks