Ask a Dentist   »  

What can be black spot on gum in child ?

Hi! I was brushing my daughter mouth the other day, and I noticed a black spot in her back gum, should I worry?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 17 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

It's not uncommon to have a bit of discoloration along the gumline. Most spots found on gums are not serious and result from natural skin pigments, tiny bruises, or hardened plaque. I would suggest you continue to encourage good oral hygiene with brushing and flossing regularly and monitoring the dark area you noticed.

I would have the dentist take a good look at it during her next appointment as well.

I hope this information is helpful for you and if you have any followup questions please feel free to ask.

Dr. Robert Galamaga