What can I do to lower blood sugar level and prevent it from spiking during the night?

Aug 2012

My blood sugar was 343 when I got up this morning. It was ok before I went to bed. I don't understand why it is spiking during the night. I was also queesy this morning. What can I do to lower it and prevent it from spiking during the night?
Posted Tue, 23 Oct 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 1 hour later

I can understand how you feel when you get up with such a high sugar. Before we see the problem of fasting high sugar, I wanted to know few things about your diabetes:
- Did you lose weight because you did your diet and exercise so intensely or this much weight loss is unintentional?
- Do you have family history of diabetes, especially anybody diagnosed before 35 years of age?
- Do you have kids? If yes, were you having pregnancy induced diabetes during your pregnancy ever?
- Do you also have something called polycystic ovaries (PCOS) where you generally have irregular menstrual cycles, acne on your face, increased facial hair etc?
- When you say your sugars were so high this morning, do you mean they were never more than 200 ever before this? This I am asking because you have mentioned that you do not take any medications.
- What is your height and weight?
Please let me know this information.
Coming to today's high sugar, it is something really very high and honestly it is not possible to treat it without medications. Extra dieting and exercise at this stage would not bring this sugar down and for sure, medications are right away required. So I would say please see a good physician to get your prescription.
If it is your constant observation that your bed-time sugars are fine but morning sugars are so high then there are a few possibilities:
1. You are having diabetes type called MODY- maturity onset diabetes of young, where only fasting sugars go high and mostly after-meal sugars remain fine. But even in this type you need to take medications as per doctor's advice.
2. You are having really very high carbohydrate intake during your evening meals and that is causing such a high sugar in the morning hours. So try a very low or no-carb food during evening meal and see how the sugars are.
3. People who take medications to control their blood sugar, can have a mild hypoglycemia at around 3 AM and this leads to high sugars in the mornings. This phenomenon is called 'Somogyi effect' where the body tries to save one whose low blood sugars go unrecognized during sleep. But as you said you are on no medication for sugars, then this possibility is unlikely in your case.
4. If today is the only day when you saw your sugars so high at home gluco-meter, then I shall recommend to make sure the meter is working fine and not showing any abrupt high reading by error.
5. If you have lost so much of weight and sudden onset high sugars are there, then this can be type 1 diabetes where again you need to see a physician without any delay.
In short, continue your diet and exercise. But see your physician right away. I am sorry to know that you have lost insurance, but unfortunately you will need prescribed medications which in United States are unlikely to be accessible without prescription. In case there is difficulty in getting access to healthcare team, please consider contacting ADA- American Diabetes Association at WWW.WWWW.WW to find options what you can do. I wish you get to start treatment right away. Wish you all the best.