What can I do to cure male breast gain?

I wanted to enquire what steps to take if concerned about high estrogen levels may be causing male breasts weight gain along with use of anti-convulsants and past history of blood clots in both legs and lungs.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 36 minutes later

Male breast enlargement- Gynaecomastia is commonly associated with phenytoin therapy specially if used for long term. Obesity is also a precipitating factor.

The treatment of these enlarged breasts can be done with medicines which antagonise the action of estrogen like clomiphene, tamoxifen, danazol, testolactone, etc.

The improvement with medical treatment is seen only upto some extent. The definitive treatment is surgery.

You can discuss all these options with your treating physician and may be consider changing the anti epileptic drug you are taking.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: What can I do to cure male breast gain? 40 minutes later
What about the use of anti-convulsants and liver enzymes possibly causing a lack of normal estrogen levels for men and blood clots.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

The use of anti convulsants causes induction of the liver enzymes means increases their activity which causes more and more conversion of testosterone into its metabolite which acts like estrogen causing gynaecomastia, predisposing you to weight gain and blood clots. That is why I suggested you to talk to your physician to decrease the doses of anticonvulsants or choose other alternatives with lesser side effects.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Follow-up: What can I do to cure male breast gain? 48 minutes later
Many thanks I had background of the usage of anticonvulsants. And had also recently enquired about neuro surgery. This now gives me a better understanding and greater confidence to go and see both GP and Neurologist again, many thanks.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
You are most welcome.
I am so happy that i could help you.