What can I change in my diet that will lower my Blood urea nitrogen and Creatinine?

Jun 2015

I have stage 3 Kidney Disease and I had very high Potassium but I now have it lower it is at 4.7 MY GFR was at 17 and with lowering my Sodium and reading labels and giving up sever foods I have my Potassium down and my GFR is up to 23. I still have BUN at 4.9 and Creatine is at 1.9 and Chloride is 109 and CALC OSMOLALITY is at 306 and my Comprehensive Panel Glucose is H @ 106. My RBC cout is Low 4.14 and HGB 11.5and HCT 35.1are also low What can I change in my diet that will lower my BUN and Creatinine?
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Renal diet to lower BUN and Creatinine Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. I have studied your case history in details & extremely sorry to know about all that you have gone through. 1. The Blood Urea Nitrogen (BUN) & Creatinine are the markers of Kidney function. Any increase in their values is indicative of ongoing Kidney disease. The need for Dialysis arises in case of stage 5 Kidney disease, when Creatinine values exceeds 6.0 and GFR is less than 15. 2. Decreased RBC and Hemoglobin values is attributed to Anemia, secondary to deterioration in Kidney function. Management involves intake of Iron, Vitamin B12 & Folic acid supplements. Erythropoietin injections can also be administered for the same. 3. Symptoms of Mental confusion, Generalized weakness & Ammonia breath, or smell is due to increased BUN & deranged serum electrolytes. 4. Progression of the Kidney disease (rise in BUN & Creatinine values) can be prevented by intake of a Renal Diet, which consists of 2000 kcal, 45 gms Protein, 45 Meq Potassium and 8 gms Salt. Avoid sour foods, extra salt, potatoes and non-vegetarian food. Kindly consult your treating Doctor/ Dietician & get a diet chart prepared. The problem of overweight will also be solved with this. 5. In addition, you need to get your serum electrolyte & Renal function parameters monitored regularly along with optimization of blood pressure & Hemoglobin status to prevent any further complications. Wishing you a good health. Please let me know if I need to clarify further. Till then, maintain adequate hydration & nutrition status, get good sleep and avoid stress. Take care.