What caises numb and cold hand and feet?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
For two years now I have been dealing with on and off tingling, numbness - little shock-like sensations in hands, sometimes in my feet. Peripheral neuropathy seems to be a favorite buzz word that is a catch all for nothing that can be diagnosed or done about it. I have had the EMG and it is negative. I have had various chiropractic work done on my legs and feet with laser and massage with some benefit, however it is very minor improvement for a lot of money. I believe there is more to this. My muscles seem to be difficult to stretch and they constantly feel like they need stretching, and I do stretch daily. No mastter how much I stretch it doesn't ever alleviate the feeling that I need to stretch because it doesn't seem to benefit. My sensations are often that feeling as your leg or arm fall asleep. This happens very easily for me. If I hold a phone up to my ear my arm will go to sleep very quickly so I have to move to the other ear or just tolerate a sensation that my hand is going to sleep. I also get sensations at times of cold feet or hands - even cold feet when I am wearing slippers, but when I feel my feet they are not cold even though they feel that way. I have been checked for diabetes, lymes and several blood workups for deficiences. Do you have some ideas?
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Vascular obstruction can lead to numbness and cold Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. Hormonal imbalance like hypothyroidism leads to similar symptoms of numbness. So checks your thyroid hormone level. Vascular obstruction can lead to numbness and cold feeling. Peripheral colour Doppler will help to diagnose any vascular obstruction. I will advice for MRI spine to see for any nerve compression leading to numbness, you may need screening of whole spine. Till time some medication like methylcobalamine and other neurotropic medication. You may consult physiotherapist for guidance. He may start TENS, or ultrasound which is helpful in your case. Change your diet and remove inflammatory foods such as citrus fruits, dairy products and wheat that may aggravate the condition. Simultaneously increase your intake of potassium and calcium-rich foods such as bananas and avocados and green leafy vegetables Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care